Week 6



Wow, this week has been crazy!! For those of you who don't know, for the last 6 weeks I have been in training at the missionary training center in Provo, Utah, learning both how to speak Portuguese, and also learning how to teach others, and be an effective missionary. To be honest, it has been a ton of work, and I have been itching to leave for a while this week, that I might be able to go out and truly serve.  However, I am so grateful for all the experiences I have had here.  I have learned so much and have changed greatly.  I can honestly say that I'm not the same person I was when I came here just 6 weeks ago, and that makes me all the more excited to see how the Lord will change and shape me and my life over these next 2 years.

This week, as we have been preparing to leave the MTC, it has been fun to hear lots of stories from our teacher, the best teacher EVER, Irmao Childs.  This week Brother Childs brought in tons of journals, notebooks, and planners from his mission, that he served about a year ago in Santa Maria, Brazil.  Each day this week he shared a journal entry or a funny story he had recorded in his notebooks, and on Friday night he let us pick one item from his collection of journals and such to read.  On one hand, I was amazed by just how much Brother Childs wrote on his mission.  He had books and books of scripture study, Portuguese verb conjugations, conference talks notes, etc. and they were all super neat too.  It honestly made me think how sad it's gonna be when my kids read my journals some day, having to squint their eyes, trying to decipher my chicken scratch handwriting.  Okay, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but nonetheless, he inspired me to write a little neater, and write with the thought in mind that someday my kids, or other future missionaries might be reading my journals and my study notebooks as well. 

Brother Childs this week also shared with us some hilarious stories.  One morning, Brother Childs and his companion were rushing to the house of a certain family that they wanted to get to church.  Upon walking up towards the house, they heard barking, and discovered 3 dogs in the distance darting towards them.  Brother Childs, ran up to the house, and threw a couple little pebbles at their windows to get the family's attention, as doing so is quite common in Brazil.  As the dogs came up to the house, barking and advancing on Brother Childs and his companion, Childs was determined to get that family to church, and so one by one he kicked the 3 dogs that had ran up.  Now this may seem a little cruel, but the dogs in Brazil are all mostly strays that aren't exactly the nicest, but also the way Brother Childs talked about and reenacted the scene was just absolutely hysterical.  How he turned and, "BAH. BAH. BAH"  kicked back each dog, and then dusted off his shoulder, with a proud smug look one his face.  And yes, he got that family to church that day.  Anyways, it was just super funny in class to hear from him.  

The last class that we had with Irmao Childs was super sad, but we all gave him huge hugs, and took some class photos with him as well.  Then, we each had written him letters, and bought him some candy which he slyly and quickly put into his red backpack.  Unfortunately, once class was done and we had taken pictures, Brother Childs had some classes of his own at BYU that he had to attend, but on the way down the stairs to the front exit, we all sang "Chamados a Servir" or "Called to Serve", which we have practically memorized in Portuguese already.  It was really sad to have to say goodbye, but it was also awesome to get to sing together as brothers and great friends.  I'm really gonna miss Brother Childs, but I am so grateful for his great spirit and testimony, and perfect love, which he had for all of us. I honestly don't think we possibly could have had a better teacher than Brother Childs. In fact, I have no doubt that he was and is the best.  






So we learned this week how to conjugate commands in Portuguese, which are used to give commands, as well as express desire for someone to do something.  We then had about 20 minutes where we were allowed to literally command our companions to do whatever we said (within reason), as long as we could say it in Portuguese.  Long story short, we all walked down the hall, and I had my companion pick up a potted plant from a nearby table.  Then, I noticed that Elder Thackeray was commanded to do a wall sit, and so I had Elder Ruiz give the plant to Elder Thackeray.  Then, our teacher Irmao Childs jumped over, and we took a silly picture of the scene.  It was hysterical!





This week, I also received concrete information that I will be serving a temporary reassignment in Fort Lauderdale, Florida until my visa processes completely.  At first upon hearing about this change, I was quite sad, sad that I wouldn't be able to serve where I was called, right away.  But this week I have become really content, genuinely excited to serve in Florida.  For one it is super cool since my sister, Krystina, served in the same mission, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, but also because it will be an amazing opportunity to learn how to be a missionary in English, and in the U.S. first, before being sent straight out to another country that doesn't speak my language.  I am grateful for the opportunity to serve in Florida, and I am so excited to get to spread the word of God, and invite others to come unto Christ.

I decided this week that I wanted to share each week in my blog a bit of scripture, or spiritual thought that impressed me. This week I had many powerful spiritual experiences, but I would like to share with you all just a few of those experiences today.  On Sunday the 12th, we had a Sunday devotional, like we always do, yet we tuned in to a live broadcast for young adults by Elder and Sister Cristofferson.  In this devotional, they featured a performance by the singer Sissel of the song "Slow Down", along with the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square which was just absolutely beautiful, and brought me to tears.  Not only was the music just astounding, but the message and the lyrics of the song are just amazing.  I would like to share a verse of this song, and I would invite you as well to look up this song and performance, and give it a listen, and I promise that you will be moved.

In the time of tribulation When I'm feeling so unsure When things are pressing in about me Comes a gentle voice so still, so pure Slow down, slow down, be still, my child Be still and wait, on the Spirit of the Lord Slow down and hear His voice And know that He is God And know that He is God  

Sometimes life is really hard, and it seems as if everything is pressing against you, but if you slow down, and be still, listening with pure intent, then God will answer the questions of your soul, and calm the storms of your heart.

Along with this great song, I think this scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 121: 7-8 gives great comfort as well. It says "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high."  I know this scripture to be true, and I have taken it to heart. I have a strong testimony of the atonement of Jesus Christ, and the grace of God, that all that humble themselves before God, and endure their adversities well will receive comfort and great blessings from our dear Heavenly Father.  I would invite anyone that is in need of comfort, or direction, to study about the infinite atonement of Jesus Christ, and pray for divine help and council, and I promise that God will bless you, and help you to overcome any and all adversity.

-Elder Lightheart


Collage: Elder Castillo in the top left, Elder Paulson in the top right,
and Brother Childs in the bottom left. 






Comments

  1. Elder Lightheart much Love Brotha stay solid out there and continue to bless The people.. our Dear brothers and sister!����✨ #GodsArmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT ELDER MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 16 (Coming Home)

First Week (kind of)